vlc performance

Ice BOFH icerbofh2 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 30 02:20:22 CEST 2001

As part of the process of getting vlc on my TP600E and improving playback
performance in general. I am attaching my notes

# Adjust some parameters on the DVD drive
hdparm -c1 -d1 -u1 -a128 /dev/hdc

I used gcc 2.95.3 to compile. I have also been experimenting with compiling
certain modules with the intel compiler in hopes of speeding things up (it
appears to speed up somewhat).

files compiled with the intel compiler with the following flags
-tpp6 -xiM -axiM -ip -unroll

yuvmmx.c
video_yuvmmx.c
idctmmx.c
vdec_idct.c
vdec_block_mmx.c
idctmmxext.c
vdec_idct.c
vdec_block_mmx.c
motionmmx.c
vdec_motion_inner_mmx.c
vdec_motion_common.c
motionmmxext.c
vdec_motion_inner_mmxext.c
vdec_motion_common.c
vpar_headers.c
vpar_blocks.c

Note the following message when compiling video_yuvmmx.c, this supposedly
indicates that that particular loop was converted to MMX.

video_yuvmmx.c(188) : (col. 13) remark: LOOP WAS VECTORIZED.

// for( i_index = 0; i_index < 256; i_index++)

Hope this helps and would be interested in hearing if anyone else has tried
this.

--Jauder