Voodoo3 and BeOS

Kristan Slack kristan_slack at email.com
Fri Mar 16 21:29:44 CET 2001

>I believe this is still true, but BeOS has no hardware acceleration for
>voodoo cards, and for that matter many cards. I had a voodoo3 2000 card and

erm.... that's plain wrong.

I may be going out on a limb here... but the only hardware acceleration
missing is that for 3D graphics...
2d acceleration exists... if it didn't, you'd get performance similar to the
VESA driver which eats CPU.

>video for mine wasn't very good for Mpeg files. They always looked so much

there's a different reason for that..

try smpeg...

>better under win98 or Win2K. I know that most Quicktime files won't even run
>under BeOS.  I have several files that won't run and only two that will.
>This is because very liitle information about quicktime has been given to
>the the developers of BeOS.   Therefore, they (the developers at Be) don't
>know how to exactly write the code.  That's how it was explained to me.

somewhat.. it's because Apple holds an exclusive license on the sorenson
codec and won't be releasing the details to anybody anytime soon for anything
less than a mountain of money...