System Requirements

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Fri Mar 30 04:39:41 CEST 2001

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001, Chris Jensen wrote:

> My intention was to setup a ~400Mhz machine with a decent video card as the
> server, and have it streaming full screen DVD content to either a 400Mhz
> celeron or itself, or both.

   A video card will not help much on the server side, since it only
sends compressed data. All the work is done by the clients, so a 200MHz
CPU will be more than enough for a server. The clients will need a good
video card, though.

   You cannot have the server uncompress the video and send it
afterwards, that would require 130 Mbps bandwidth if sending YUV data,
and 350 Mbps if sending 24bits RGB data.

--
Sam.