VLC able to play regular DVDs?

PJ briareos at otherlands.net
Thu May 3 10:21:54 CEST 2001

Hello,
	Forgive me if this is answered elsewhere, I haven't been able
to confirm it.  I am under the assumption that vlc is able to play
regular CSS encrypted DVDs.  However, I have been unable to play such
DVDs.  On the videolan homepage, there is a screenshot of Princess
Mononuke however when I try to play this, Gladiator, Pitch Black, etc,
I am presented with a series of input and output messages.  I have
/dev/dvd symlinked to /dev/hdc and have the following permissions
applied to /dev/hdc

brw-rw-rw-   1 root     disk      22,   0 May  8  1995 /dev/hdc

I am using the gtk/x11 module (as the latest SDL libs result in the
application hanging, but I have to test further).  Is CSS ablility
tied to a particular interface, such as GNOME?  Can someone confirm
that videolan is able to play CSS'ed DVDs?  I will present further
information if that is needed.  Thanks

PJ

--
He who has imagination without learning has wings but no feet.