sound in vlc

Tom tom at lemuria.org
Mon May 7 23:30:12 CEST 2001

after getting my new 1.2 ghz athlon, I'm looking forward to dumping the
windos dvd players.

however, here's a few useability problems I'm having. maybe someone can
help. I don't mind patching around in the source and recompiling, if
someone can point me to where I have to change what. :)

1. sound volume low
sound volume is extremely low, much lower than other programs (e.g.
quake3). and I already *have* everything at max in aumix. how about an
option to boost the audio? this seems to be a general DVD problem as
I'm fairly sure that my windos players show the same behaviour. this is
especially true for the speech. soundtrack (musical score) is almost
ok, but speech volume is *very* low.

2. sound turning off
when changing audio tracks during playback, it sometimes loses the
audio altogether, i.e. silence.

3. fullscreen mode trouble
fullscreen mode has two useability problems for me. one: it seems that
it does not really use all of the screen. there is still ample space to
the left and right. this might have to do with my video beamer, but the
windos players (or the normal desktop both in win and X) work fine.
second, fullscreen fills to the virtual, not the actual screen. this
may be a very specific problem for me, but it's real. here's why: my
video beamer only supports resolutions up to 800x600. however, I
normally use a 21" monitor, set to 1280xwhatever. I would LOVE to just
ctrl+alt+(-) to 800x600, hit (f) and plug the beamer in. unfortunately,
I can't. I have to exit X, restart to 800x600 resolution and then start
vlc. doh.

other than that, everything works great so far. I'm very happy. :)

--
-- http://web.lemuria.org