sound in vlc

David Kennedy dkennedy at tinytoad.com
Tue May 8 04:57:16 CEST 2001

Hi Tom, I think I can help with one of your questions, I'm sure someone
else will help with your other questions.

On Mon, 7 May 2001, Tom wrote:

> after getting my new 1.2 ghz athlon, I'm looking forward to dumping the
> windos dvd players.
>
> however, here's a few useability problems I'm having. maybe someone can
> help. I don't mind patching around in the source and recompiling, if
> someone can point me to where I have to change what. :)
>

> 1. sound volume low
>
> 2. sound turning off
>
> 3. fullscreen mode trouble
> fullscreen mode has two useability problems for me. one: it seems that
> it does not really use all of the screen. there is still ample space to
> the left and right. this might have to do with my video beamer, but the
> windos players (or the normal desktop both in win and X) work fine.
> second, fullscreen fills to the virtual, not the actual screen. this
> may be a very specific problem for me, but it's real. here's why: my
> video beamer only supports resolutions up to 800x600. however, I
> normally use a 21" monitor, set to 1280xwhatever. I would LOVE to just
> ctrl+alt+(-) to 800x600, hit (f) and plug the beamer in. unfortunately,
> I can't. I have to exit X, restart to 800x600 resolution and then start
> vlc. doh.

The non-fullscreen fullscreen problem depends on your video output module.
Sounds like you're using SDL. Try passing the width of your screen to vlc
(vlc --width 800) and when you switch to full screen mode, everything
should be okay. Or use a different vout module.

I have the same problem with the full-screen virtual viewport problem (I
use 800x600 for tv-out on my Voodoo 3000 and 1024x... normally). Something
I've been planning to look in to and figure out how to fix, but haven't
had time yet.

David