CSS Negotiation question

Matthew Gabeler-Lee msg2 at po.cwru.edu
Tue May 8 21:27:52 CEST 2001

Every other linux dvd player out there needs to run as root to do key
negotiation, even though my user has read/write privs on the device.
The programs don't just bitch about being non-root, they actually get
failed ioctls.  Vlc, on the other hand, works like a charm.  Does it
install some suid helper program or something?  I find it quite bizarre
that vlc can do key negotiation as non-root when nothing else can.  OK,
come to think of it, oms can do the key stuff as non-root, I think, but
most others can't.  This isn't a problem with vlc at all, just a point
of curiosity for me.

--
	-Matt

"Trust me.  I know what I'm doing."