Stutters and Segfaults

Carwyn T. Edwards carwyn at carwyn.com
Tue May 8 03:25:10 CEST 2001

I tried using vlc-0.2.73-1 to watch a movie last night and all went fine
up to about 30 mins in - the image then started to stutter. Switching
from full screen showed some fifo related issues. I paused and restarted
and all was fine. A while later the same happened again. Pause then
restart helped again.

My PC has 256Mb of SDRAM with a GForce DDR and an Athlon.

I tried the same DVD with WinDVD and it had no problems (although WinDVD
uses 60% more CPU time than vlc).

These however are minor issues compared to the problem I later
discovered. About 5 mins before the end of the movie the picture went
blank - vlc had segfaulted.

Just starting up the DVD in vlc now produces:

Multiple segmentation faults occurred; can't display error dialog

or

PES trashed - decoder fifo full !
PES trashed - decoder fifo full !
PES trashed - decoder fifo full !

.. even though I managed to watch almost the entire movie yesterday.
Other DVDs work fine though.

Are either of these common problems or have I managed to break
something?

FYI

Broken DVD: Kevin and Perry Go Large
Other DVD tested: BladeRunner

I had to --rebuild the src rpm to get past the deps for RH7.1.

Still by far the best DVD Player for linux I've found though :o) keep it
up.

Carwyn