CSS Negotiation question

Matthew Gabeler-Lee msg2 at po.cwru.edu
Wed May 9 20:53:18 CEST 2001

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Tom wrote:

> you don't really *need* root for anything on a Linux system, most
> progs that insist on it are just programmed lazily. that said, the
> reason for the root requirement in dvd players is usually that you
> need quite a lot of permissions - the screen, the drive, audio
> devices, etc. as root you don't have to worry about those.

The reason I asked was because most other dvd players tried to do the
authentication as non root, and the ioctls fail.  Kinda weird.  The
pam_console stuff takes care of most all the permissions, which is
nice.

> and no, as far as I'm aware, vlc doesn't install anything suid-root.
> as a matter of fact, I've used it without ever becoming root (no
> "make install").

True.  I think I've done this too.

--
	-Matt

Men seldom show dimples to girls who have pimples.