extension "XVideo" missing on display

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Tue May 15 02:31:02 CEST 2001

Lee Howard wrote:

> At 09:45 AM 5/15/01 +1000, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> >Lee Howard wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi, could someone point me in the right direction into resolving this
> >> problem?:
> >>
> >> Xlib:  extension "XVideo" missing on display ":0.0".
> >> vout error: XvBadExtension
> >> vout error: no XVideo extension
> >> vout error: video initialization failed, video is deactivated
> >> VideoLAN Client - version 0.2.73 Ourumov - (C)1996-2001 VideoLAN
> >
> >You need the extensions module. Here is the ones I load (all that
> >I could find) in my XF86Config-4:

[trimmed]
> Thanks for the reply, Eyal.  But I seem to be using the extensions module
> already:
>
> Section "Module"
>         Load  "GLcore"
>         Load  "dbe"
>         Load  "dri"
>         Load  "extmod"
>         Load  "glx"
>         Load  "pex5"
>         Load  "record"
>         Load  "xie"
>         Load  "v4l"
> EndSection
>
> Or is there a way to configure what the extensions module contains?

Looking at your /var/log/XFree86.0.log you should see something like:

(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libextmod.a
(II) Module extmod: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
        Module class: XFree86 Server Extension
        ABI class: XFree86 Server Extension, version 0.1
(II) Loading extension SHAPE
(II) Loading extension MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
(II) Loading extension BIG-REQUESTS
(II) Loading extension SYNC
(II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
(II) Loading extension XC-MISC
(II) Loading extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
(II) Loading extension XFree86-Misc
(II) Loading extension XFree86-DGA
(II) Loading extension DPMS
(II) Loading extension FontCache
(II) Loading extension TOG-CUP
(II) Loading extension Extended-Visual-Information
(II) Loading extension XVideo

See if it is there. Verify that the correct config file is used by
exmining the top of the log file, I have:

(==) Using config file: "//XF86Config"

which, for me, is really a link:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Apr 14 09:19 /XF86Config-4 ->
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au) <http://samba.anu.edu.au/eyal/>