Problem using subtitles

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Sun May 27 15:52:10 CEST 2001

On Sun, May 27, 2001, Jochen Puchalla wrote:

> I have a problem with displaying subtitles on some DVDs like "Truman
> Show" and "The Sixth Sense" (german DVD distribution).
> The problem is that subtitles are displayed (red with black center
> with "Sixth Sense"), but the rest of the picture is white.

   This is due to the subtitles not using color 0 as a transparency
color, _and_ storing the whole 720x576 picture in the subtitle data
instead of just the cropped box. The white pixels you see should
actually be transparent.

   Since vlc still doesn't get the subtitle color from the IFO file of
the DVD, you'll have to wait a bit until they display properly.

   A workaround would be to edit src/video_output/video_spu.c and
replace all (three) occurences of:

      if( i_color )

   with:

      if( i_color != 1 )

   if you want color 1 to be transparent. Replace 1 with 2 or 3 if you
want color 2 or 3 to be transparent instead. Unfortunately this means
that subtitles which used to work won't work again, so you may want to
store the compiled vlc exeuctable under a different name so that you can
choose which one to run.

--
Sam.