unexpected async reply

Michael Flohr flohr at itp.uni-hannover.de
Sat Nov 17 16:42:09 CET 2001

Dear Maik,

I did a new installation of SuSE 7.3
I don't think it is SuSE. I believe this has to do with XFree and the
particular graphics card I use, the ATI rage 128 mobility.
However, since all versions vlc 0.2.xx with xx >= 80 work fine with
XFree 4.1.0 and this graphics card, I assume that the videolan people
must have changed something in the code which breaks things for my
configuration. Even more interesting, this unexpected async reply
happens independent of the video output chosen, i.e. it happens for
xvideo, x11 and sdl output. I conclude that it must be something very
basic with XFree and vlc.
I should add that the only other message I do get after this error
occurs is that several segmentation faults occured and that the system
is not able to report any further error messages - that is quite severe
an error message.
None of my other applications show this behaviour, and all the former
vlc releases did not show it either.

Ciao Michael