vlc segfaults (repost)

Michael Flohr flohr at itp.uni-hannover.de
Thu Nov 22 12:42:09 CET 2001

Repost of presumably lost mail:
-------------------------------

In an earlier email, I reported that vlc 0.2.91 always crashes
with the error message
"Xlib: unexpected async reply (0x....)!" with .... varying hex numbers.
This happens only when reading a DVD, but NOT when playing
an mpeg file. The error occurs as soon as the video output
window is opened.

What finally bring vlc down is not clear, but after this error,
I always get
"multiple segmentation faults, no further error messages can be displayed"
or something like that (my system runs in German, so I tried
to translate the error message).

All other releases since 0.2.80 do *NOT* show this behaviour.
To pinpoint the error, I tried the following:
vlc -vvvvvvvvvv:       does not give any further hints;
vlc -novideo:          does not change a thing, the same errors happen;
vlc -V whatever:       does not change a thing;
vlc -noaudio:          does not change a thing;
vlc -novideo -noaudio: WORKS, but that is of not much use, is it?

I can further say that the rewritten vout_xvideo.c is ok, since
I can use that with vlc 0.2.90 perfectly such that at least fullscreen
is back to normal when I use the 0.2.90 release.
I have the feeling that the error must have to do with either
multithreading or with a different memory management.
If someone could pinpoint for me, where changes in these directions
have been made, I could try to investigate this error further.

The following equipment is used:
SuSE 7.3, kernel 2.4.10, XFree 4.1.0,
Pentium III 750 MHz, 256 MB RAM, ATI rage 128 mobility graphics card.

Michael