RH7 install

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Thu Nov 22 19:36:37 CET 2001

On 22 Nov 2001, Doug Wolfgram wrote:

> Still having problems.
<snip>

> I reset the DVD disk to /mnt. For some reason, /dev/dvd doesn't work on
> my machine. (Is there a way to save options so I don't have to set this
> every time I run it???)

the dvd shouldn't be mounted in order to access it...

if as root you do:

ls -la /dev/cdrom (assuming your dvd drive is /dev/cdrom you'll see that
cdrom is a softlink to something, in my case:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Aug 28 17:18 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc

you can then create a soft link from /dev/cdrom to /dev/dvd

ln -s /dev/cdrom /dev/dvd

that way if you move your dvd drive to a different ide postion, kudzu will
point the /dev/cdrom link at the right drive and everything will be ducky.

Joel Jaeggli				       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services			     consult at gladstone.uoregon.edu
     PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
arms.  Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
the right, 1843.