Mac OS X and VCDs

Johan Bilien jobi at via.ecp.fr
Mon Nov 26 11:51:55 CET 2001

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001, KESSLER,JOHN (A-Japan,ex3) wrote:
> I've been scouring the web for weeks trying to find out a good answer to
> what is preventing Mac OS X (10.1) from playing VCDs. It can mount VCDs but
> it can't play .dat files. It seems like you are the only people around that
> might be able to provide an answer. Can we expect VLC to support VCDs on Mac
> OS X, and when might that be? I'd love to use the software, but I don't have
> a DVD player and I just want to watch all the VCDs that I've collected over
> the years in Asia.

I guess the problem is the same as the one on Linux : the .dat files are
located on the second and following tracks, which uses a different type
of sectors (MODE2). This type of tracks is not supported by the kernel
for simple classical reading (it causes input/output errors), you have
to use ioctl calls. That's what I have done for the VLC.

In order to port it to Mac OS X, you would just have to adapt the ioctl
calls (in linux_cdrom_tools.c). But I don't know MacOS at all and I'm
currently working on a DVB input.

--
Jobi