[8] Linux vs Windoze

kevin at ank.com kevin at ank.com
Mon Nov 26 20:32:28 CET 2001

There are probably several factors.  Depending on the video card you
use, you may or may not have full acceleration support from XFree86.
Using a commercial X server like AcelleratedX would fix this if that
is the problem.

Secondly, your CPU may not be well optimized under Linux; commercial
compilers often generate executables with performance that is up to
twice as good as GCC.  GCC is not optimized at all for the AMD Athlon,
and only somewhat optimized for Pentium III and higher.  Instruction
scheduling plays a huge role in how well exectuables perform on the
most recent chips, so using a commercial compiler or some of the newer
experimental open source compilers like PGCC, and AthlonGCC to compile
vlc may help these problems.

Lastly, using SDL isn't the best choice for rendering Video data.  X11
comes with many protocol extensions, some of which are better and some
worse at quickly rendering lots of bitmap data.  The core protocol is
quite poor, but using XFree86 4.0 you can instead use the XV extension
if your graphics board is one of the ones for which an XVideo driver
has been written.  For boards without XV support there are some tweaks
that you can do to speed up X11 by 10% or so, such as setting up the
MTRR registers correctly.

For what it is worth, vlc on my P-II 750 notebook is quite smooth without
any of the optimizations mentioned above.  My desktop is a 1.4GHz Athlon
that is mostly smooth with occasional hiccups with an XV supported
video card (the GeForce3).

Cheers,
-kls

--