choppier in 0.2.91

Jeremy Bailin jbailin at as.arizona.edu
Thu Nov 29 17:31:28 CET 2001

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I'd upgraded a number of things on my
laptop including RH 7.1->7.2, XFree 4.0.3->4.1.0 and vlc 0.2.82->0.2.91
and noticed that the video was choppier but I didn't know which component
was the problem.

I'd assumed it was XFree, since I've had other problems with 4.1.0 and
will probably downgrade soon anyway, but by reinstalling vlc 0.2.82 from
my old rpm I've discovered that it was at fault - with vlc 0.2.82 and the
rest of the system unchanged, the video is smooth again.

This is on a Dell Inspiron 4000 with an ATI Rage Mobility 128. A couple of
other people were recently mentioning decreased video performance in
0.2.91 - what video cards do you have? What versions of X are you running?
There's probably something useful in there for the videolan team...

--
Jeremy Bailin            /
jbailin at as.arizona.edu  |  "The determined Real Programmer