Suggestion for your Install / Readne Linux files

Tomas Carbonel carbontom at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 4 01:05:24 CEST 2001

Salut mes amis,

I am enjoying vlc quite stable under Red Hat 7.1 with kernel 2.4.2-12.

I could not get sound off vlc.2.83.  So, I installed vlc 2.81 rpm wiht decss 0.0.3.

One suggestion for other users is to link
-ln /dev/cdrom (dvd player) /dev/dvd

It may sound simple but it is not.  It took me a while to be able to read the DVD until I included that command.

Another thing.  I use an NDIVIA card TNT2 M64.  I also tried it with an ATI All in Wonder Pro 128 and the playback was not that great.  Basically it was choppy.

Reading in another internet site I found out about hardware acceleration.  www.ndivia.com is one of the few graphic cards vendors that has all the Linux accelerated drivers.

It is painstaking to install,actually my system crashed and I had to edit and manually install the nvidia_driver; but once done !Presto! the playback is perfect.  Just like any player under windows.

Regards,

Sergio Carvajal