Problems with linux 2.4.1X and vlc

Jérôme Marant jmarant at free.fr
Sun Oct 14 10:37:36 CEST 2001

Hi,

  I tried recently vlc with both linux 2.4.10 and 2.4.12 and it
  seems that I can reasonably no longuer watch DVDs: I could see
  huge slow downs with video/music interruptions every second.

  (my computer is a Athlon 1,2Ghz with 512 megs of RAM)

  I first tried a window rather than fullscreen, then I tried to
  reduce the number of displayed colors and the sound quality but
  but all of these modifications did nothing.

  Then, I decided to reboot and to try an older kernel, i.e 2.4.9:
  all those problems disappeared.

  I know that there have been fundamental changes in the memory
  managements in recent kernel but I have no clue about what
  precisely causes such troubles.

  Anyone experienced this?

  Cheers,

--