Low volume

Berend De Schouwer bds at jhb.ucs.co.za
Mon Oct 15 13:53:04 CEST 2001

On Mon, 2001-10-15 at 13:14, Samuel Hocevar wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2001, Berend De Schouwer wrote:
>
> > Using vlc 0.2.90, any DVD I play has volume set to the minimum.  I need
> > to turn the volume of the sound system up to the maximum to hear
> > anything -- at first I thought sound was broken.
>
>    Sound level in AC3 streams is purosely very low, in order to allow
> for greater dynamics (explosion sounds for instance).

Granted.

> You will need to
> increase the volume of your sound system (sound card and amplifier).
> Doing this in software (ie, at the vlc level) would result in distortion
> and saturation for high volume scenes.

The problem is that the sound quality is currently very bad because the
volume is so low.  If every output volume on the soundcard (pcm, ogain,
etc.) and the sound system is on its maximum, it is still softer than
normal speech.  And of course my sound system gives out a constant hiss
when everything is turned to the maximum.

Do I really have to buy a better sound system to listen to dialogue on
DVDs?  I never thought "better speech" would be one of the reasons I'd
shell out some cash on a sound system :)

--
Berend De Schouwer