Low volume

Chris Jensen christopher.jensen at studentmail.newcastle.edu.au
Mon Oct 15 15:18:56 CEST 2001

> Doing this in software (ie, at the vlc level) would result in distortion
> and saturation for high volume scenes.

Could vlc (or perhaps someone knows of an external package that will do
this)
do this selectively, amplifying only low amplitude waves but not higher
amplitudes. Wouldn't this be similar to the companding process used in PCM
encoding, only backwards?
I've had this problem with a tv that i sometimes use with my dvd player, and
it sounds really poor even with the alsa volumes and the tv volumes set to
maximum.