vlc problems after 2.60

Pascal Haakmat a.haakmat at chello.nl
Tue Oct 16 22:19:22 CEST 2001

Hello,

Thanks for vlc, it's a very nice DVD player for Linux. I'm having lots of
problems with recent (2.83, 2.90) versions though, whereas things used to run
very smoothly with vlc 2.60. Some problems I have encountered:

- The first couple of times when I started vlc (--overlay --input dvd /dev/dvd),
  I got segmentation faults. This when starting vlc gnome, vlc gtk or vlc ncurses.
  It would play the first two seconds or so before crashing, sometimes looping.

- After a while I stopped getting segmentation faults by starting vlc like
  this: "vlc dvd:/dev/dvd", but now I get no audio and an error about not
  being able to open an esd socket.

- When I delete the esd.o audio plugin I get a segmentation fault on
  vlc startup. It crashes immediately, i.e. doesn't play anything.

I'm running RedHat 7.1 on a Pentium III/550 MHz with kernel 2.4.4.

Thanks,