fullscreen resolution

Tom tom at lemuria.org
Wed Oct 17 18:16:48 CEST 2001

I posted this back in the days of 2.73 or so and a remedy was found.
unfortunately, it doesn't work anymore with 2.90

here's the problem:

my screen is configured for 1280x1024. however, I need dvd playback to
happen at fullscreen 800x600. (the video beamer doesn't do more than
that).

it is possible to switch the screen to 800x600, but vlc will use the
full resolution, i.e. I only see the top-left part of the movie. I
dimly remember that in 2.73 the problem was solved by explicitly
specifying "--width 800 --height 600". this doesn't work. neither does
setting the resolution in the preferences dialog.

this is xvideo output, which is the obviously preferred choice. SDL
output is capable of doing as I request. but SDL appears to be
considerably worse (more artifacts, more "stop-and-go"), while xvideo
is perfectly smooth.

question: is rescaling entirely out of the question for xvideo? am I
doing something wrong? is there a fix?

--
-- http://web.lemuria.org