VLC on OS X 10.1

David Thorup dthorup at corda.com
Wed Oct 17 21:42:52 CEST 2001

On Wednesday, October 17, 2001, at 04:27 AM, Florian G. Pflug wrote:

> CSS support seems to be broken for some machines at the moment. Playing
> mpeg
> (and also) .VOB _files_ works, but the css code seems to still have some
> problems on OSX.
>
>> If there's anyone that can help me get this up and running on OS X
>> I'd appreciate it.  Just let me know the steps I need to go through to
>> get it running.  I should mention I'm using OS X 10.1 on a PowerBook G3
>> 333 Mhz (Lombard) with the Apple-supplied DVD ROM, 384 MB RAM, Sixth
>> Sense DVD.  (I don't have any other DVDs with me at the moment, but
>> I'll
>> try it on others)
> Could you try playing a mpeg or VOB file, and see if this works
> (especially
> results when using the fullscreen-output-module would be interesting)

OK, here are some results:

I got the latest CVS version to build and run on my Lombard G3 333 Mhz
and it's running pretty good.  It plays mpeg movies really well and I
even got the FBI warning VOB file to play on a DVD but I'm still having
problems getting it to play DVDs.  The QuickTime-fullscreen-output seems
to be working very well and performance in that mode seems to be much
better than in the normal windowed mode.  (Just my preliminary
observations, nothing scientific)

When I do try to get it to play a DVD (./vlc dvd:/dev/rdisk1) the DVD
drive starts spinning and then I get this error message:

dvd error: dvdcss can't open device

Anyway, things are looking good and I'm excited that (hopefully) I'll
soon be able to watch DVDs under OS X on my PowerBook. :)