Run Time Problem

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Sun Oct 21 01:38:57 CEST 2001

On Fri, Oct 19, 2001, Mark Wendt wrote:

> 	Ran configure with no options, "make vlc" compiled everything with no
> warnings or errors.  Make install worked, but had to copy install-sh to the
> /extras/libdvdcss directory in order for "make install" to install
> everything.  Once all installed, I can run "vlc from the command line, but
> all I get is this:  "VideoLAN Client - version 0.2.90 Ourumov -
> (C)1996-2001 VideoLAN" in the terminal window.  It just sits there until I
> kill it, and the GUI display never generates.  No core dumps or anything in
> the logs to point me in any direction. Is there something I may have missed
> in the config/compile portion to make the GUI pop up?  Or does vlc not run
> on the CDE?

   You need to compile a GUI plugin. Most people will use the gtk
plugin, which gets automatically compiled if the gtk-config executable
can be found somewhere. Look in the plugins/ directory for *.so files to
see which plugins got compiled. There is also a Qt plugin, but it's in a
less working state for the moment.

   If you don't manage to build a GUI, you can still run vlc by using
the command line, for instance "vlc dvd:/dev/disk1" if you want to play
a DVD in the /dev/disk1 device.

Regards,
--
Sam.