Dumb question

Steven Anker steven at frog.nl
Tue Oct 23 13:35:13 CEST 2001

Whoops, was a bit triggerhappy with the send-button the first time. Anyway
I just wrote that your rpm database does not contain any info about vlc.
The only way you can remove the code is by doing it manually. Or you can
build the RPM anyway. What I always do is download a redhat 7.1 SRPM. I
install the SRPM as root. I unpack the vlc...tar.bz2 file from
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES in the directory /usr/src/redhat/BUILD. Then I try
to configure and make the code. If this works fine, I copy the parameters
I used for configure to the spec file in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS (first
line). And then I do rpm -ba /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/vlc.spec. And in no
time you have a brand new SRPM and RPM. Install the RPM and everything
will run fine. Now you can easily remove vlc in the future with rpm -e vlc.

On 2001.10.23 03:49 Michael Willems wrote:
> OK, dumb question, and I apologise in advance.
>
> I re-installed my RedHat 7.1 system from scratch, including all the
> updates
> and my nvidia GEforce driver.
>
> Then I installed libdvdcss and the latest vlc, both from tarballs. (rpm
> were
> problematic: if I install and then later try to remove with -e, rpm says
> "that rpm is not installed").
>
> Now when I start vlc I get the GUI and I can select a track - and
> then....
> nothing at all. I am doing something stupid wrong - what? Many thanks for
> your help.

Can't help you there. I'm no VLC expert. Sorry.

Steven Anker

e-mail: steven at frog.nl

Frog Navigation B.V.
Cartesiusweg 120