DVD Playing on 2.4.8

Chris Stevens chris at mindblow.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 25 19:15:05 CEST 2001

I have Mandrake 8.1 using the 2.4.8 kernel on a Dell Inspiron laptop.
(ATI Rage Mobility).

The dvd is /dev/cdrom

The 'disk' option appears to do nothing, even after linking /dev/dvd to
/dev/cdrom

If I mount the dvd and use the gtk interface, specifying a .vob directly,
it will
play the file on one of my dvds using the SDL output. However, the rest
all give
read errors even though the directory listing is ok: is this a problem
with decoding?
(Manual copying of the .vobs to /tmp/fails also).

I have installed the Mandrake rpm packages

	vlc-0.2.83-1mdk.i586.rpm
	vlc-gtk-0.2.83-1mdk.i586.rpm
	vlc-qt-0.2.83-1mdk.i586.rpm
	libdvdcss0-0.0.3-1mdk.i586.rpm
	libdvdcss0-devel-0.0.3-1mdk.i586.rpm

Will videolan handle interactive menus?

Many thanks in advance if you get the time to answer this.

Chris Stevens