jerkiness with RH7.2/vlc0.2.90

Steven Anker steven at frog.nl
Mon Oct 29 08:37:20 CET 2001

On 2001.10.25 18:40 Jeremy Bailin wrote:
> I was happily running vlc 0.2.82 under Red Hat 7.1 (the patched RH
> 2.4.3-something kernel) with XFree 4.0.3 on my Dell Inspiron 4000 (ATI
> Rage Mobility 128) Celeron 700 w/ 256 MB RAM.
>
> I made the mistake of updating a few things at once, so I don't know what
>
> the culprit was, but: vlc is now very choppy where before it was very
> smooth.
>
> I upgraded to vlc 0.2.90 and to Red Hat 7.2 (with its patched 2.4.7
> kernel), which included XFree 4.1.0.
>
> It's still using XVideo, like it was before. I've always been using the
> standard XFree drivers.
>
> Before I start taking my system apart bit by bit, does anyone have any
> suggestions which component is most likely at fault? If I had to place a
> bet, I'd say it's XFree... but downgrading to 4.0.3 doesn't seem like the
>
> most sensible option.

I've just upgraded to RedHat 7.2. But I have no problems. It even runs
better then before. I run everything on a Dell Lattitude C600 with an 16Mb
ATI RAGE M3. When I used RedHat 7.1 I had installed the GATOS drivers for
the ATI card. They were a lot faster. I know they have released ATI
drivers for XFree 4.1.0. Perhaps you can try. I haven't tried them yet.

I'm using a color depth of 16-bits (else some hardware acceration will not
be enabled).

> --
> Jeremy Bailin            /
> jbailin at as.arizona.edu  |  "I guide my own life,
> web.psylentknight.com   |  at least that's what
> ICQ:36107285            |  my cat tells me."
> Free Dmitry Sklyarov     \          - Nitrozac

Steven Anker

e-mail: steven at frog.nl

Frog Navigation B.V.
Cartesiusweg 120