vlc playing dvd problems on debian

James Leigh james.leigh at ottawa.com
Sun Oct 28 22:49:07 CET 2001

Bradley,

I recompiled the kernel without devfs, but vlc is acting the same way.
I also have a cdrw on another bus (host2/bus1), but I don't think that
is it since I had that setup as a normal cd after I added the DVD,
without ide-scsi.
  My DVD is a slave to my CDROM could that be a factor?  I also notice
my DVD light is always on when there is a DVD in there, do you have that
as well?  Do you have your DVD drive on an athlon (x86) or PowerPC?
  I would guess the problem is in the kernel devices or the encryption,
since xine and vlc do kinda the same thing.  I don't think it is the
encryption since I can mount/copy the files off the DVD and I am told
that the DVD I have here is not using css.  So I think It is the kernel
drivers.  From what I can figure out MTTR, UDF, IDEDMA, IDECD are all
things in the kernel that are related with DVD drives.  Know of any
other kernel configs that could effect DVD drives?  I still cannot get
it to work.

still trying,
james