vlc playing dvd problems on debian

Jean-Luc jean-luc at ampr.org
Mon Oct 29 09:33:01 CET 2001

On 28 Oct 2001, James Leigh wrote:

> Bradley,
>
> I recompiled the kernel without devfs, but vlc is acting the same way.
> I also have a cdrw on another bus (host2/bus1), but I don't think that
> is it since I had that setup as a normal cd after I added the DVD,
> without ide-scsi.
>   My DVD is a slave to my CDROM could that be a factor?  I also notice
> my DVD light is always on when there is a DVD in there, do you have that
> as well?  Do you have your DVD drive on an athlon (x86) or PowerPC?

I run sid. I've a burner and a DVD (ASUS 8x) on the same attachement, the
DVD is slave, both run ide-scsi (no devfs).
It plays fime most of the DVD I've tried. Sometimes, it is a bit jerky.
The processor is a K6-II 500. The video card is a TNT2. When I use it with
the nvidia drivers, it is smooth, but these drivers trigger other problems
(cannot use soem opengl software, cannot use the framebuffers for the
console..).

>   I would guess the problem is in the kernel devices or the encryption,
> since xine and vlc do kinda the same thing.  I don't think it is the
> encryption since I can mount/copy the files off the DVD and I am told
> that the DVD I have here is not using css.  So I think It is the kernel
> drivers.  From what I can figure out MTTR, UDF, IDEDMA, IDECD are all
> things in the kernel that are related with DVD drives.  Know of any
> other kernel configs that could effect DVD drives?  I still cannot get
> it to work.
>
> still trying,
> james

------