blank screen with sound

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Mon Sep 10 01:37:19 CEST 2001

on Sun, 09 Sep khchan at cyberdude.com wrote:

>the problem would most likely be here??:
>vout error: can't create YUV overlay surface.
>vout: DirectXUpdateOverlay no overlay !!

This doesn't explain why you don't have any video.
This just tells you that your video card doesn't support YUV overlays and thus vlc won't use any hardware acceleration (from your graphics card). But vlc is falling back to software YUV conversion (message vout: DirectX RGB surface created successfully).

>Xing MPEG Player 3.3 and Windows Media Player 6.4
>could easily play that mpg file... under xing, when
>sound and rate control is off, i get over 50+ fps...

The problem is not that vlc can't play the file, it does play it (according to the logs you sent) but cannot display it. I don't really know why, maybe you could try to change the depth of your display to 16bits (65536 colours) instead of 24bits (because I'm not sure vlc does YUV->RGB software conversion for 24bits depths).

Sorry I can't help you more

--
Gildas

Une gamme d'outils gratuits et performants à votre service.
Web/Wap : www.netcourrier.com
Téléphone/Fax : 08 92 69 00 21 (0,34 E TTC/min - 2,21 F TTC/min)
Minitel: 3615 NETCOURRIER (0,15 E TTC/min - 1,00 F TTC/min)