Fullscreen in 0.2.83 & icewm

Rajesh Fowkar rajesh at symonds.net
Mon Sep 17 03:23:16 CEST 2001

Hi,

Thanks for a great player.

I just compiled and installed vlc on my machine. I am using icewm. It looks
as if the fullscreen mode is not covering the entire screen under icewm
when I play a video. There is no problem like this with KDE2 or
windowmaker. The same problem has occured while I was using mplayer and the
maintainer of icewm has sent this to the mplayer developer :

 Someone showed my that part of your FAQ
(http://mplayer.sourceforge.net/homepage/faq.html):

Q: I have problems with icewm and fullscreen xv mode..
A: Known problem, icewm sucks.

   Poor statement. Specially since your code proves that you have never
read the ICCCM (Inter-Client Communication Conventions Manual,
www.tronche.com/gui/x/icccm/) -- a document describing how window managers
and X clients are expected to interact.

   Well. Fortunatly it's rather easy to fix this bad behaviour of mplayer
(which dreams that it cold predict how a window manager would place it's
windows). See this bug reports to get an idea how to fix mplayer's
problems:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=432376&group_id=21299&atid=121299
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=432378&group_id=21299&atid=121299

Ciao,
Mathias

Subsequently the changes were done in mplayer and it provides options in
mplayer.conf for ICCCM compliance. 1 = window managers with ICCCM
compliance 2 = otherwise.

Can this be done in vlc too.

Another thing is inspite of referring to the howto I could not find any rc
file for vlc and the syntax of commands that can be put in rcfile. I am
using gnome interface and inspite of saying apply / ok in preference
nothing is saved and no rc file is created in my home directory.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Warm Regards

--
Rajesh