vlc doesn't automatically play

Buzz Weetman buzzweetman at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 3 17:50:36 CEST 2002

I have vls streaming dvd content from 127.0.0.1 port 4321 to 127.0.0.1 rt
1234.  when I issue my start command, I see the dvd drive spin up and the
activity led go nuts.  I used tcpdump to verify data is coming in to port
1234.  I've tried running vlc before starting the stream and after, and in
both cases no video window ever pops up... just the toolbar.  I use "vlc
--vout=x11 udpstream:0 at 127.0.0.1:1234" and have tried many other variants.
vlc will play a local .vob (which is how I discovered the need to do
--vout=x11).  I've tried playing the .vob's on my dvd directly using "vlc
--vout=xll /mnt/cdrom1/video_ts/xxxxx.vob" and I might get a second or two
of video or very choppy audio.  The dvd is the only one I currently have:
MTV Unplugged Tony Bennett live. (it's not mine... really!)  And the local
video I CAN play is egypt.vob (the dolby trailer).
I'm running Redhat 7.2.  I've tried the vlc rpm and compiling the source,
with the same results.

Any suggestions?
Buzz