VideoLAN Client 0.3.0 behavior

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Wed Apr 10 09:28:12 CEST 2002

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002 "Robert Cavicchio" wrote:

>VLC 0.2.92 was working on my Windows 98 SE system, but when I open a VOB
>file with VLC 0.3.0 (using a disc that worked before), the main control
>interface window immediately crashes.  The DirectX video window stays up,
>but the video is squished into the left half of the window, and the colors
>are atrocious.  Lots of purple and green.
>
>Then after several attempts to start the program, my system runs out of
>memory.  I have 256 MB RAM.

Unfortunatly VLC-0.3.0 for Win32 is not yet really usable. I didn't have time to fix all the bugs I was aware of before the release, but I'm actively working on this right now and this is my priority number one :)
All the current problems should be fixed for the next bugfix release (which should happen within the next few weeks hopefully).

Nonetheless I really appreciate your feedback :)
One thing you could try to improve the video output is to use the --nooverlay command line option (or something like "disable hardware acceleration" in the video section of the preferences menu). This will slow down VLC quite a bit and the picture quality may not be that great but at least you should have video (And I also would be interested to know if it solved your problem).

Another problem with this win32 release is that some accelerated plugins (SSE accelerated plugins) don't work, so if you have a PIII or IV processor then you need to use the --nosse command line option (or use the appropriate option from the preferences menu).

Cheers,

--
Gildas