Question about playing "remote" DVD

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Thu Apr 18 09:31:10 CEST 2002

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002 Alejo Escobar wrote:

>I use WINDOWS 2000 on my Desktop, the PC doesn't have DVD-drive. But I have a SUN E450 (Solaris 7) which has DVD-drive. So i want to know if it's possible to watch DVD movies from the SUN in my PC.
>I installed VLC on my W2K.. tried to open 1 file from SUN (previously installed SAMBA to share SUN /cdrom to W2K) but nothing happens.
>I tried several commands (from W2K):
>C:\> vlc i:\
>(i:\ is my network drive connected to SUN E450)
>C:\> vlc i:\video_ts\vts_02_2.vob

I guess the problem here comes from trying to directly access a file from an encrypted DVD. If you want to play an encrypted DVD, the DVD drive needs to be on the local machine as VLC needs to "talk" to this drive in order to decrypt the files.
There's a way though to do it remotly like you are trying to do. You can use the VideoLan server (vls) on the SUN machine to send the decryped DVD files to the PC.

>I also tried "C:\> vlc -vvv" but still there is no messages.
>
>I have downloaded your MPEG file "presentation_short.vob.mpg" and the VLC can "play" the sound, but not the image.

Now this is weird. When you say you don't have the image, do you mean that the video window doesn't even show-up or that it does show-up but there's nothing inside it. Also you need to check that this stream contains video (does somebody know ?), you can try it with Windows Media Player just to see.

If this mpeg really contains video then I would be interested in getting more information to try to fix this.
You can get debug messages when you use "C:\> vlc -vvvvvvvvvvvvv" and open the "messages" menu in vlc's interface. You can also use "C:\> vlc -vvvvvvvvvvvvv --intf=logger nameofyourvideofile" to send the debug messages directly to the vlc.log file but this method is not yet perfect as you also loose the GUI interface when you do that.

>Finally, i searched "libdvdcss" and it isn't on my W2K drives...it has a different name? Is it missed from the VLC-windows-install?

Don't worry you don't miss it, it's statically linked with vlc which means that it's contained inside the vlc.exe executable file.

Cheers,

--
Gildas