Would you please help me to use vlc?

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Wed Apr 17 02:14:04 CEST 2002

On Monday 15 April 2002 16:22, wzwen wrote:
> Hi:
>     I am a student in China.And I am a novice in using Linux an vlc.I
have downloaded and installed the both the files of vlc-0.3.0-1.i586.rpm
and vlc-gtk-0.3.0-1.i586.
>     But when I used the command gvlc to play a mpeg file,it didn't
work.Although the gtk interface had come out and time-bar had moved,the
video didn't come out.And the errors came out as below:
>    vout error:unknown screen depth
>    vout error:plugin was unable to allocate at least one direct buffer
>    vpar error:can't open vout,aborting
>    Would you help me to solve the problem?I'll be very appreciate of that.
>    Thanks a lot!

Your problem is most likely a problem with the configuration of XFree86.
You should try to set your display to a 16 bits depth in your XF86Config
file.
Even better, you should try to setup your XFree86 to use the XVideo
extension so you can benefit from hardware acceleration when playing videos.

Cheers,

--
Gildas