DVD Technical docs... CSS, Region codes, etc..

Russell McOrmond russell at flora.ca
Sat Apr 27 20:27:01 CEST 2002

  I am wondering where the best place to read about DVD would be.  I don't
need low-level details for implementation, but more higher-level stuff.
I am a programmer myself, but I am wanting this knowledge more for
advocacy : I have been engaged in ongoing conversations with my domestic
government about competition-vs-copyright issues, using the issue of the
DVD-CCA cartel as an example.

  Specifics:  DeCSS and similar software have probably been analyzed, and
I'm just looking for links.  My understanding is that this (relatively
small) piece of code is used for decoding CSS encoded VOB files (Some have
a built in key, some try the small number of possibilities to search for a
valid key).  One important element I am missing in my knowledge is how
regional codes are implemented.

---
 See http://weblog.flora.org/ for announcements, activities, and opinions
 World Intellectual Monopoly Day  (April 26, 2002)
 GAScd.TOUR - For the benefit of GASCD  (April 26, 2002)