installing on redhat 7.2

Bill Eldridge bill at rfa.org
Tue Apr 30 16:18:49 CEST 2002

Jesse Lackey wrote:
> I can't install the RPMs because "liba52.so.0" is a missing dependency.
> Apparently this is some sort of mandrake-only library.  The page
> http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download.html claims the .RPMs will work for
> redhat.  I STRONGLY suggest including a link to a redhat-usable liba52
> .RPM and/or some text descibing how in fact to install on a redhat
> system.  It is very frustrating to spend a significant amount of time
> figuring out how to (if it is even possible) install on the latest
> redhat.  Just a few words would have saved me and probably many others
> much hassle.  (It took 2 hours to get the previous version of vlc to run).

> I'm sorry if this sounds out-of-line, I understand that it is free
> software, but if you want your users to have a pleasant experience just
> a little bit of documentation would go a long way.  I'm aware that there
> is a mini-howto, but this issue is glossed over.

Funny, when I started using videolan a few months
ago, there was almost no documentation, so as a
dumb user, I just started putting my experiences down
in writing, and those helped make the mini-HOWTO.
Of course there's been a whole lot of development
since then, including packaging up rpm's that weren't
available a month ago, so these MIGHT NOT be in
the documentation yet.

It took me 5 minutes to find a working version of
liba52 at http://rpmfind.net (like most things needed
for compilation, you need the development version.
If you want to compile your own, you can go
to liba52.sf.net, but this isn't necessary)

http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/cooker/contrib/RPMS/liba52dec0-devel-0.7.3-4mdk.i586.html

This says Mandrake but still works on RedHat.

So does the vlc RPM, though running it bombed out with:

[root at rfa01 bill]# /usr/bin/vlc /home/httpd/html/Dolby_Broadway.vob
VideoLAN Client - version 0.3.1 Ourumov - (c) 1996-2002 VideoLAN

rc: remote control interface initialized, `h' for help
X Error of failed request:  BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)
   Major opcode of failed request:  141 (XVideo)
   Minor opcode of failed request:  19 ()
   Atom id in failed request:  0x1a00006
   Serial number of failed request:  67

Anyway, if instead of complaining you write up
both 1) how you got around your problems plus
2) what's still not working with detailed bug
reports, then there's a good chance someone
will put this information to good use.

--
Bill Eldridge
Radio Free Asia