DVD decoder and VLC error message

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Sat Aug 10 19:49:31 CEST 2002

On Saturday 10 August 2002 08:41, Brian & Julie Moore wrote:
> Hi!
> I downloaded vlc 0.4.1 and 0.4.2 and I get the same error message when I
attempt to play a DVD:
> "vlc has caused an error in VLC.EXE".
>
> All I am after is a DVD decoder. I have a device and a driver.
>
> My OS is windows ME.

Firstly, you use vlc 0.4.1 as 0.4.2 is broken and won't work.

Secondly, make sure you indicate the right drive letter for you dvd drive
when you try to play a dvd with vlc. In the "Open Disc" dialog window, you
should type your drive letter in the "Device name" section.
I recall a few crashes caused by this mistake.

Lastly, could you describe a little bit more what happens before the crash ?
Do you see a video window opening before the crash ?

Hope this helps,

--
Gildas