bug vlc 4.3/4

The DJ d.hartman at student.utwente.nl
Fri Aug 16 00:03:13 CEST 2002

MacOSX uses standard Unix File System rulez for naming.
However it has several layers which guarantee backwards compatibility with
os9/Carbon (which uses  : for path seperation).

This is visible in the Finder as well.
When you create a/a in the Finder, then you actually create a file called
a:a when you look at it from the subsystem. This file is visually presented
in the Finder as "a/a", since the Finder was programmed in Carbon.

I think this is accidental, because this file would create havoc in os9
systems I guess. In OSX a file with the ":" char is still not allowed. It
gets replaced by a "-", both visual and in the subsystem.

When you program completely in Cocoa or in Carbon you won't encounter this
problem, but I guess in such a mixed environment as vlc is, it all gets a
bit to complicated to handle.

DJ

> using a Slash ("/") on Unix File Systems is not allowed - it is the
> same with the colon (":") in pre MaxOSX Systems. I am curious, how it
> is was possible to create a file with a slash.
>
>> OS:  MAC OS x 1.1.5
>>
>> There´s a bug in interpreting the path
>> if  ther´s a  "/" in the path vlc can´t open the file
>> (ok. comes from Unix)
>> means:  filename: "starwars 2/3" doesn´t open
>> change name to "starwars 2 to 3" works
>> same  problem if used "/" in derectories
>> Beno
Universiteit Twente
Derk-Jan 'The DJ' Hartman
ICQnr: 10111559