VideoLAN Client v0.4.4 freezes when playing DVDs

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Mon Aug 19 10:04:29 CEST 2002

On Sunday 18 August 2002 23:35, Phillip Pi wrote:
> Hi. I am having problems playing DVDs in VideoLAN Client v0.4.4. I
> compiled and installed:
>
> I am using Red Hat Linux v7.2 (default Kernel). I was trying to play Star
> Wars: The Phantom of Menace (SW:TPM) and The Lord of the Ring (LOTR) DVDs
> for tests. Here is the sample log from SW:TPM DVD:
>
> [ant at ANTux-P3 download]$ vlc -vvv
> VideoLAN Client - version 0.4.4_2002-08-18 Ourumov - (c) 1996-2002
> VideoLAN
> module: locking memcpy module `memcpymmxext'
> module: locking interface module `gtk'
> intf: interface initialized
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path:
> "ruler_horiz.png" line 1117
> dvd info: title first 503903, last 3593430, size 3593431
> module: locking access module `dvd'
> intf: stream has changed, refreshing interface
>
> VideoLAN client (Gtk+ interface) is frozen at this point. I can't close it
> the normal way. I have to kill it and use ctrl-c to break out of it:

Hmmm, the GTK warning should definitely not be there! I guess your GTK
hasn't been installed correctly.

Anyway, you should be able to check if the problem comes from the GTK
plugin. Try to use VLC with another interface plugin ("vlc --intf dummy"
for instance).

Also make sure that you are waiting long enough before killing VLC. It
sometimes take a long time to crack the DVD CSS keys (sometimes about
1min).

Hope this helps,

--
Gildas