VlC-0.4.4 and VLS-0.3.3 problems report

Liu, Haining hliu at exch.hpl.hp.com
Fri Aug 23 23:11:07 CEST 2002

Hi, All,

First of all, I have carefully read all the posts on both lists, and still can't figure out why I meet these problems. My problems appear on RH7.2-3 linux

i) Let me explain what happened to VLC at first. I installed most updated libdvdcss, make install as instructed, then I configure vlc-0.4.4.( I tried with 1)default; 2)turn on the "--enable-dvd" ), Then when I tried to use VLC directly read from my DVD drive, it failed, prompt "module error: requested access module 'dvd' unavailable\input error: no suitable access plug-in for 'dvd/:/mnt/cdrom at 1,1" ( I am pretty sure I have enabled my wrting rights to the drive). So I switched to File option, I tried to open Vob files directly. However, I can play open one of my 3 DVDs ( named "exclusive"). The other two don't work ( They are "The Thomas Crown affair" and "Toy story"). The errow message is "input error: read()failed (Input/output error)". Sometime VLC can show a picture window with several green blocks and then freeze. All these disks work well on my Win2K/Win98 boxes.

ii)When I tried streaming DVD from VLS, I changed the corresponding parts of input.cfg and vls.cfg. I can't stream none of these 3 DVDs from VLS. The error message is"Error: -1, Info: Unable to start program film (my name to the disk), Info: Error: Module mpegreader: ps2ts not present". Then I copied VoB files to the disk. Still I can only stream the "exclusive", I can't stream none of the other two. A lot of Error message such as "Time discontinuity in PS stream, Looping in Synch !!!!!...." and nothing will appear on clients.

iii) I can't get "AC-3 pass through" optiong work when working on Windows. I try to let my USB Yamaha pc audio create surrounding effect. So how can I do it?

I've raised too many questions. thanks for advice and help in advance.

Haining