SVCDs ?

Michael Flohr flohr at itp.uni-hannover.de
Tue Aug 27 01:36:27 CEST 2002

Hi all,

again grea work, so far no problems with my DVDs.

But this time, I tried to play an SVCD with vlc 0.4.4 under Linux
(SuSE 7.3 with kernel 2.4.10). It does not work, although I read
many times that vlc plays SVCDs just fine. I get the following error:

input: vcd: no movie tracks found
module error: requested access module `vcd' unavailable
input error: no suitable access plug-in for `vcd/:/dev/cdrom at 1,1'

What am I doing wrong? There seems to be no documentation
on how to play SVCDs under Linux. By the way, mplayer plays the
SVCD directly from the drive without problems. I found some hints
that I have to copy the mpeg2 file to the hard disk first, but I thought
this does not apply to Linux.

Please help.
Michael