SVCDs ??

Michael Flohr flohr at itp.uni-hannover.de
Wed Aug 28 13:04:04 CEST 2002

Some days ago, I asked something about SVCDs:
I cannot play SVCDs with vlc 0.4.4 under Linux directly
from the drive. However, I read quite often, that vlc
is *the* app that should do this wihout problems.
So, I must do something very stupidly wrong, since
it seems to be so trivial that nobody bothered to reply
to my question.

So, am I doing somehting wrong, or is it vlc, or is it
Linux, or what? I did not find documentation on this,
nor was I lucky browsing the mail archives.

My system: PIII 750 with 512 MB Ram, ATI rage 128 mobility,
SuSE 7.3 with XFree 4.1.0.

The error message is something about that vlc did not find
any movie files on the CD. The only thing I know is that
SVCDs have a strange format with some larger block size,
but since mplayer plays them fine, it does not seem to pose
a real problem.

Sorry for inquiring again,
Michael