No suitable access plug-in for

farmer dude farmerduderl at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 29 03:50:49 CEST 2002

When I issue;

vlc dvd:/mnt/cdrom

The gnome-vlc opens, but no disc is recognized.  I.E.,
if I click on "open disc" it freezes and I have to
kill the app.

So then I issue;

vlc -vv dvd:/mnt/cdrom

Now I see an error, below:

input: access `dvd', demux `', name `/mnt/cdrom/'
module error: requested access module `dvd'
unavailable
input error: no suitable access plug-in for
`dvd/:/mnt/cdrom/'

Yes, I have configured VLC to use /mnt/cdrom for my
DVDs.  I use ogle and xine same method and no issues.

What am I missing here?  I don't understand why it
reports no access module available.  I can provide
entire verbose message if that helps.  Higher up in
the log I get this (which leads me to think it should
be okay):

module: builtin module `dvd' found libdvdcss in
`libdvdcss.so.2'
module: new plugin module `dvd', DVD input module,
uses libdvdcss if present

I've searched on the Net a bit and found similar
posts, but haven't found any resolutions of what to
change/mod.

Any/all feedback is appreciated.

farmerdude

System;
Red Hat Linux 7.2
Kernel 2.4.18
XFree86-4.2.0-67

VLC installed packages:
vlc-aa-0.4.1-1mdk
vlc-sdl-0.4.1-1mdk
vlc-0.4.1-1mdk
vlc-alsa-0.4.1-1mdk
vlc-gnome-0.4.1-1mdk
vlc-mad-0.4.1-1mdk
vlc-esd-0.4.1-1mdk

Other Stuff:
libdvdcss2-1.2.2-1

PS, I did search for "dvd" and this was returned;
/usr/lib/videolan/vlc/dvd.so