[vlc] Re: Sequence of UDP packets important ?

Jean-Paul Saman jpsaman at wxs.nl
Wed Dec 11 19:37:49 CET 2002

Christophe Massiot wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2002, Marc Van Riet wrote:
>

>>We're using videolan configured to use UDP packets for sending data.
>>These packets are then transmitted over a proprietory network to a
>>videolan client.
>>
>>Is the order in which the UDP packets arrive at the client important ?
>>Maybe the client puts the packets in the right order himselve ? I would
>>expect him to do that, since with UDP/IP there is no guarantee of the
>>order in which packets are received.
>

> Yes we expect packets in the right order. There is no re-ordering
> algorithm as yet. We're using VLC on a LAN and re-ordering never happened.
> We'd probably need such an algorithm, though.

You only *really* need such an algorithme if UDP is send over an
uncontrolled network which is almos saturated. With proprietary is
probably meant that they have ownership and controll over the network,
so they can guarentee the bandwidth for the network.

Packets only get lost when either the senders/receivers stack are
flooded with packets or the network is nearly 100% full. Anything below
80% network filling should not result in packet loss.

Greetings,
Jean-Paul Saman.