[vlc] Re: synchronization of different clients/servers/channelserver

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Mon Dec 16 09:10:44 CET 2002

Jan Lessing wrote:
> Hi
>
> congratulations to your great project and work.
>
> I want to use videolan for a linux based application which should
> display a movie (MPEG 2, AVI, ... ) on a 4 display setup (4 LCD next to
> each other) showing a special widescreen format movie (around 720x2304
> Pixel). I think the easiest way would be to use a vls (--wall option)
> which broadcasts the movie and 4 vlclients (each serving one display).

Exactly what I would recommend.

> But I think the bandwith of a 100 Mbit network could be too low to
> transfer the hole movie of such a resolution.

Use 1 Gigabit ethernet then.

> So I was thinking about dividing the widescreen movie first in 4 movies
> of normal size and copying these special movies to the harddisk of the
> clients and then just using vlclients showing just the moviepart for the
> display. For that purpose it is necessary to synchronise the different
> vlclients to play each the same framenumber of the movie at the same
> time. How would I do that? Is there a support for ntp (network time
> protocal) for example?

Your distribution supports ntp, but why do it the hard way? Keep it simple.

--
Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman

Software Architect

e-mail (work): saman at natlab.research.philips.com
phone  (work): 040 27 42909
Ordina TA,
Science Park Eindhoven 5602, Postbus 293, 5600 AG Eindhoven
e-mail : jean-paul.saman at ordina.nl
phone  : 040 2601200
fax    : 040 2601199