[vlc] Re: Please give us permission :TAKARAJIMA Publishing company

Christophe Massiot massiot at via.ecp.fr
Wed Dec 18 09:37:57 CET 2002

I didn't see any public answer to your email. Sorry if you didn't get
an answer sooner - developers usually hang around
vlc-devel at videolan.org, but vlc at videolan.org is a high-traffic
mailing-list and we sometimes forget emails.

At 16:19 +0900 10/12/2002, Aiko Inoue wrote :

>This is  Miss. Aiko Inoue of TAKARAJIMA Publishing company,Tokyo Japan.
>I am an editor of the magazine of Personal computer and the Internet.
>
>We want to introduce your software (which is introduced in your Web site)
>in the extra issue of our magazine named "Download DX ".
>The extra issue will be put on the market in January
>2003.(Sorry,only in Japan...)
>
>The software we want to introduce is
>
>The Latest version of  VideoLAN Client  0.4.6  (vlc-0.4.6-win32.exe)
>
>Could you permit our introducing this software?

Redistribution of VideoLAN software is free, provided it complies with
the terms of the GNU General Public License. An example of valid distri-
bution, and probably the most convenient for you, is to distribute
together, on the same media, the source code for the program whose
binary version you are distributing and the source code for the
third-party libraries it may use.

If you are distributing a version of VLC, you need to include the
following files:
  - http://www.videolan.org/pub/vlc/0.4.6/macosx/vlc-0.4.6.dmg
  - http://www.videolan.org/pub/vlc/0.4.6/vlc-0.4.6.tar.gz
(these files contain the GPL license)
  - and third-party libraries :
    http://www.videolan.org/pub/vlc/0.4.6/contrib/*

There is one additional issue you need to take care of. The VLC
binary from our website can also read encrypted DVDs with the help of
the libdvdcss library. Its use is controversial in a few countries
such as the United States because of a law called the DMCA. If you are
unsure about the legality of using and distributing this library in
your country, please consult your lawyer.

I hope it's not too late for you. If you have any other question,
please feel free to contact us again.

Sincerly,

--
Christophe Massiot.