[vlc] Re: MPEG-1

Tristan Leteurtre tristan.leteurtre at videolan.org
Fri Dec 27 02:35:00 CET 2002

On Wed, Dec 25, 2002, WJ.Lin wrote:
> my product is a MPEG-1 encoder box(call KCE-8000), The MPEG-1 stream to send over ethernet in UDP.
> I need a LAN decoder of MPEG-1.
> Do your VideoLAN Client used for KCE-8000?

I could not find any relevant document aoubt KCE 8000 on the web, but
vlc is able to read mpeg1 encapsulated in UDP. So this should be ok with
your KCE 8000 (if you want to send us a KCE 8000 for test purposes, we
are of course interested).

> How many are the delay time from to capture to show picture?

If you mean 'capture' of UDP packets by the client from the network, it
depend of the timestamps in the stream set by the encoder. But with
mpeg1, it should several milliseconds. But I may misunderstand your
question.

> Can VideoLAN Client normal working continuous long time as 30day or one year?

We have not tested, of course, but the VideoLAN client is *very* stable
under linux, it could run a 0.4.6 for several dozen hours. I don't know
for other OS, and it may depend on the version.

Regards,

--
Tristan