Internet Explorer/Windows Media plugin?

Bill Eldridge bill at rfa.org
Mon Feb 4 12:13:39 CET 2002

Gildas Bazin wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Feb 2002 Bill Eldridge <bill at rfa.org> Wrote:
> >
> >Any thoughts as to what would be required
> >to make the Windows vlc client an Internet Explorer
> >plugin instead?
> >

> It really depends on what you would like to do.
>
> - If you want Internet Explorer to open VLC each time you click on a link to an MPEG1/2 video then you can just change the file type association in Windows (in "Folder Options").

Since vlc currently doesn't play all my MPEG files
correctly (or sometimes not at all), I'd prefer not
to make it handle everything.

> - Now if you want to design a web site that will use a VLC plugin (ActiveX component as M$ calls it) to display an embedded video then it will definitly be a lot of work because we need to transform VLC into an ActiveX component.

I guess a 3rd option would be to register a new Mime-type like:

	video/vl-stream		vls
	video/vl-file		vlc

and then set up Web sites to figure out whether to stream
or download a video file to the VLC client that gets called?

> Even though this sounds like a nice idea, this is not on my todo list right now (my time is limited).

Helas, la vie est trop courte, les demandes tres numereuses...

> But if somebody wants to code such a beast, I'll be willing to help.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Gildas

Bill Eldridge